For me Mother Teresa embodies Christian love in action. Her face shines with the love of Christ on which her whole life is centred, and her words carry that message to a world which never needed it so much

Wednesday 17 February 2010

My Declining Health and Death

Suffered a heart attack in Rome in 1983, while visiting Pope John Paul II. Second attack in 1989 and got an artificial pacemaker. In 1991, after a battle with pneumonia while in Mexico, suffered further heart problems. In 1996, fell and broke my collar bone. In August suffered from malaria and failure of left heart ventricle. I had heart surgery but my health was declining. On 13 March 1997, I stepped down from head of the Missionaries of Charity and died on 5th September 1997.

1 comment:

  1. Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.

    ReplyDelete