For me Mother Teresa embodies Christian love in action. Her face shines with the love of Christ on which her whole life is centred, and her words carry that message to a world which never needed it so much

Wednesday 17 February 2010

The Sisters of Loreto


Aged 18 I joined the sisters of Loreto as a missionary. I initially went to the Loreto Abbey in Rathfarnham, Ireland to learn Engilsh, the language the Sisters of Loreto used to teach school children. I then travelled to India in 1929, and began my novitiate in Darjeeling, neer the Himalayan mountains. I took my first religious vows as a nun on 24 May 1931. At that time I chose the name Teresa after Therese de Lisieux, the patron saint missionaries. I took her vows on 14 May 1937, while serving as a teacher at the loreto convent school in eastern Calcutta.


Although I enjoyed teaching at the school, I was increasingly disturbed by the poverty surronding me in Calcutta. The Bengal famine of 1943 brought misery and death to the city and the outbreack of Hindu/Muslim violence in August 1946 plunged the city into despair and horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment