For me Mother Teresa embodies Christian love in action. Her face shines with the love of Christ on which her whole life is centred, and her words carry that message to a world which never needed it so much

Wednesday 17 February 2010

Kalighat




In 1952 I opened the first home for the dying in space made available by the city of Calcutta. With the help of Indian officals I converted an Abandoned hindu temple into the Kalighat Homes for the Dying, a free hospice for the poor, I renamed it Kalighat, the home of the pure heart.Those brought to the home received medical attention and were afforded the opportunity to die with dignity according to the ritual of their faith Muslims were read the Quran, Hindus receied water from tthe Ganges, and Catholics received the Last Rites.

1 comment:

  1. For me, each sick and dying patient is "Jesus in distressing disguise" and there I can put my love for Him inot action.

    The home is meant only for the street cases and cases that no hospital wants or for people who have absolutely no one to take care of them.

    ReplyDelete